From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:31:54 -0000
Hi Stan

The frames are burned but the hive bodies are scorched internally and are
available for re-use.

Our destruction policy for AFB has not eliminated it but has reduced it to a
very low level.

Destruction is only a sensible option if all beekeepers within a
geographical area do the same.

Feral colonies will be less of an AFB/EFB problem with varroa destroying
them but robbing bees will always smell out the last specks of honey in them
and it will thus be many years and many re-infestations before the problem
is finally eliminated.

In UK we have a "Bee Disease Insurance" that gives  a small but welcome
compensation if destruction of bees is ordered by a bee disease officer.

I would not consider EFB as "endemic" there is usually a traceable cause,
(in UK this is usually the moving of bees outside controlled "standstill"
areas).

Best Regards, Dave Cushman
G8MZY
Email: [log in to unmask]