Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:09:28 GMT
>>Bees are not wasteful, they make the number of drones that they
require, artificially removing them, disturbs the rhythm of what the
bees consider 'normal'.

Absolutely.  Drone trapping is taxing on a colony.  Colonies will
raise and maintain a certain number of drones in the warm months in
order to have their genetics well represented in the drone
congregation areas for local virgins' matings.

If you remove a lot of drones, the bees will strive to raise
replacements which of course requires resources (material, labor, and
drone cells).

I know that drone trapping helps to keep varroa numbers in check but
the idea has little *moral* appeal to me.  I hate achieving a goal by
sacrificing the troops. :)

Waldemar
Long Island, NY