From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:43:16 -0500
Hello All,
When the researcher  moves beyound wing venation to determine AHB the
researcher can use variants in the ENZYME  HEXOKINASE. The next step is
mitochondrial DNA.

Most researchers I have talked to explain there is no need  to take AHb
further  than confirming AHB by one or all of the above methods in a
percentage  of the bees in a swarm tested.

Does one really need to know the exact  degree of AHB?

From research by Dr. Kerr I found it is possible to determine  if  the AHB
aggressive genes are present in the bee.

I have asked two different researchers the question both Allen and Barry
seek and the answer was the same.

If you wanted to know the exact genetic make up of every bee in a swarm
suspected of being AHB  it can be done. The cost of such a analysis would be
shocking in both time and money.

I have also asked if they (in their opinion) believe they would find AHb
markers in the general population of our European honey bees as suggested by
Barry, Dee and Dennis.

 Both researchers answered no!

If yes they said the above markers  would be of little use in determining
AHB. The above methods of AHB detection have stood the test of time.

I am not a researcher and only a beekeeper with access to researchers and
only passing on information passed on to me by my questions. Maybe a "lurker
researcher" on the list will comment on my post and give his opinion. Before
asked I might add I do not fully understand enzyme and DNA research. I have
got a basic knowledge of wing venation for AHB. I might   add Ruttner had no
trouble telling European bees from the bees of Africa using the Goetz
cubital index when the samples were  from pure forms of each. AHb would be
hard to determine  by wing venation alone *in my opinion* but many feral
swarms have been classified AHB by the USDA on wing venation alone.

 Sincerely,
Bob Harrison