From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:18:52 -0700
Hi Guys,

 >Do others on the list candle cells?

I did, initially, when I produced them commercially. The process was
very easy and fast as I used JZ BZ plastic queen cups. A quick look
while inserting them in a cell protector was all that was needed. The
cells should be kept in a natural(vertical) position and gently rocked
from side to side. A viable queen will rock inside the cell.

I kept track of the failures. It was always somewhat less than a dozen
sealed cells per thousand.

Acceptance rates for sealed cells, placed above the broodnest , through
mating and laying, were generally much better than my acceptance rates
for introducing mated queens. Occasionally, some kinds of bees would
accept introduced queens better than they would cells. And some kinds of
bees were notoriously bad at accepting either, with acceptance rates
around 40%.

Overall average acceptance percentages for thousands of cell
introductions, at the top, through several years, was always in the high
80's.

The best were in the mid 90's.

The top method was used as it was the fastest and easiest to use on a
commercial scale. A top super could be tipped back and a cell with
protector inserted between the frames.

Regards
Dennis