From:
"J.F. Hensler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:08:17 -0700
John Edwards wrote:

<This seems to be a fairly complicated situation - here is what I found by
dipping into S.E. McGregor's "Insect Pollination of Cultivated Crop
Plants",
which we maintain and update on our website. You may access it directly at
http://198.22.133.109/book/index.html
   -This excerpt is from Chapter 5, Legumes and Relatives.>

Yo John:

I am familiar with the data you cite above and have wondered about a couple
of the research results that might affect broad bean pollination when
attempted under different conditions than which the tests conducted.

Please understand, I make no claim of being an expert on either bees or
broad beans; I am only commenting on what we have personally observed here
in our plant hybridizing nursery, under the conditions and climate where we
operate.  I'm trying to muddle through this like everyone else...  :)

First of all, the data cites evidence that honey bees worked broad beans
mainly, if not exclusively, for the pollen - not nectar.

Next, the tests were conducted with caged bees.  We have many different
flowers in bloom throughout the season and the bees very well could be
working a different bloom that they prefer during the bean blossoming
period.  If the bees were confined to beans only, or had nothing else
available to provide pollen when the broad beans were blooming, then they
very well could work the beans.

Finally, whenever we are faced with poor production with any plant we first
look to the seed source.  We have found over the years that much commercial
seed, especially that sold to small home gardeners, is inferior.  The age
of the seed and the amount of line breeding (read inbreeding) will have a
direct bearing on the final product.  IMHO, the most insightful information
provided on the broad bean site is that which indicates that after several
generations of self-pollination (inbreeding)  germination is adversely
affected.

Cross pollination (hybridizing) of the parent plant will have a positive
effect on the viability of the seed you are planting.  Pollination of the
plant you are growing, be it by honey bees, native pollinators, wind or
hand, will only have a bearing on production if you have a plant capable of
being productive to begin with...

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN