From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 0100 16:34:07 GMT
When I started with bees in CA.over 25 years ago it was common knowledge
that there were pockets of AFB everywhere and you must treat your bees for
self protection.These pockets of AFB were assumed to be hobbiests who had
not treated their bees and they had succumbed,and were now stacked in back
yards waiting to infect YOUR bees.Over the years,having looked at lots of
used equipment,I know this is true.So what happens if you dont treat your hives?
About 15 years ago I talked with a man who had set down around 15 hives a
mile from ours.This was in the fall and he was loading them up in his pick-up.
When asked how they did,he told me they had all broken down with AFB.I asked
what his treatment program was and was informed quite forcefully that he
absolutely would not put anti-biotics in his hives .Our hives which had been
treated never showed AFB and made a good crop.Theoretically,our hives had
probably robbed his and at some point should have broken down.They never did.
A good plan in CA. that works is treat before your honeyflow and after the
supers are off in late summer.Then if you find AFB you should burn, on the
assumption you may be dealing with TM resistant AFB.Resistant AFB is out
there but dont assume you have it yet.At the same time we should be looking
for hygienic bees(those that detect a problem with the brood and remove it)
in our own bees,and supporting those breeders who are doing likewise.This may
have some effect on varroa ,but is more likely to help us with brood diseases.
Another point to keep in mind is that researchers have sometimes failed to get
healthy hives to show AFB symptoms after deliberately feeding them AFB
spores.

This message was sent using InterStar WebMail