From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:31:52 -0600
Hello Peter & All,

Peter said:
Interesting read from an individual in France selling pollen for Human
consumption - stored in freezer conditions and
under Nitrogen gas

I see the individual as looking for a nich market by trying to say the rest
of the worlds pollen dried at around 95 F. and stored frozen in bulk
containers until bottled is somehow inferior.

The site says his biggest critics are beekeepers and he is right! Always
will be until he can back up his claim with scientific proof his pollen has
better human health benefits than dried pollen kept frozen. Testimonials are
only testimonials( very similar to opinions and ----- which we all have
got!)

quote from site:
"There are no immdiately publishable scientific results as of yet"

And there is not going to be any! The only possible case  which could be
made is about pollen viability in seed set! Hard to connect the dots between
viability in seed set and human health benefits of pollen. I do give credit
his method creates a nice nich market for those 25 beekeepers supplying the
above individual.
I would bet the 25 beekeepers which supply the site  do not run the pollen
traps often enough to get the pollen frozen in nitrogen storage within the
sites own two hour time frame * from the plant*.

Happened last Saturday at the market I sell at:

 I am the largest beekeeper at the largest farmers market in the six state
area and you would not believe the stuff I hear fed to people by health food
stores and off the internet about bee hive products. I had a couple last
week telling me the benefits of fresh dead honeybees eaten. Had to be fresh
they said. They bought a large honey order so next week when my help goes to
the market next Saturday they are to gather a bottle of bees at the entrance
of one of the hives by the  parking lot in a jar and take to the market for
these people. I doubt they will show up but maybe they will. What should I
charge for the trouble is the delima? Possible nich market? I have told my
help to give the people the dead bees for free if they will eat a handful in
front of the stand but maybe not a good idea as fresh dead bees still can
give a sting! Would not be good for business to have a case of anaphylaxis
in front of the booth! I give people bees for free to sting with in a
special jar  but these folks insist they have heard eating freshly killed
bees has health benefits!
In a lifetime of beekeeping this is the first time the subject has ever came
up. I have seen pictures of natives eating  brood in Africa for protein and
I suppose fresh dead bees would provide protein.

http://www.pollen-online.com/

Also read:

http://plant-tc.coafes.umn.edu/listserv/2000/log0004/msg00081.html

The above site reads to me as a seed viability  site. Meaning if when
harvested  for how long  when away from the plant  would the pollen remain
viable to set seed.

the  first site says:
Pollen which isn't kept fresh takes just two hours to lose *all* its active
elements.

Again so much BS. Seed set viability is I suppose what he is refering to.
Does he say he can take his pollen out of freezing and set seed a year
later?  Does each buyer of his pollen get a certificate verifying his pollen
has been frozen within two hours of brought to the hive? Get serious health
food people!

My own testimonial is I have tried pollen fresh pulled right from bee leg
pollen baskets, stored fresh, suspended in comb honey (easy way to get your
pollen for home use and can but cut in bitesize chunks ), fresh frozen and
then thawed and dried. If dried properly I see no difference in benefits.
I find pollen is great for alertness, energy and staying up all night
without sleep. I am sure many vitamin benefits come with the taking of
pollen but like the multiple vitamin I take daily the only sign I see for
sure is  yellow urine!

Peter asks:
You mention Irradiated pollen - I wonder if the radiation does not "smash"
through the DNA, and other molecular material - disrupting its structure.

Without being irradiated commercial beekeepers will not buy and use
another's pollen in bee feed patties for fear of American foulbrood and
other problems. In my opinion the nutritional value lost (if any!) is offset
by the protection provided by irradiation.

Bob