From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:31:55 -0500
George Imirie Wrote:

>You are absolutely correct that the syrup must be THIN like nectar to get
the
>queen
>laying, and bees get water to dilute candy or fondant.

My comment not to feed syrup in February was in response to an inexperienced
beekeeper from Ohio who wanted to feed a small cluster of bees with a
boardman entrance feeder.  I live on the Ohio and Indiana line and our
weather has been ranging from -10F to +10F.  If he indeed has a small
cluster that is starving in this climate I doubt they will make it.
My experience with feeding thin syrup in weather where bees cannot fly and
probably won't for over a month is that it adds moisture to the hive and
gives them dysentery.  Also when you feed thin syrup, pollen must be given
or they will suffer from lack of protein.
As Allen pointed out you can feed anytime if needed provided the right type
of feed and circumstances.  This may be the differences in our climate this
time of the year.  I assume that George feeds thin syrup when cleansing
flights can be made.
If thin syrup can be fed this early in our year I would appreciate comments
from others that do this in cold climates.  Maybe I will learn something.

Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN