From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:07:19 -0400
Peter wrote:
>However, I believe mowing once or twice a year would keep the woods from coming back. I have stopped mowing a lot of >my property and some I mow annually. I use the highest possible setting in any case, well above the height of many wild >flowers.

Could be.  By coincidence (if there are such things), the dairy farmer, who grows feed corn on some of my back acreage, just came by this week to brush hog the borders of the field.  He only does it once a year around this time, and it definitely keeps the saplings out.  But, he takes it just about to the ground, and all the wildflowers that were getting ready to bloom get whacked.  On the other hand, if he cut it higher, he would have to mow more than once.  Given the cost of fuel to run one of those monster Ford tractors (makes my Kubota look like a lawn mower), I understand his position.

Bill
Claremont, NH
+43° 21’ 25”  -72° 23’ 01”
+43.35687     -72.3835