From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:29:45 -0500
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:29:17 -0500, D. Murrell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>If a situation develops where a beekeepers bees become a public nuisance,
>then  appropriate action for the public good must be taken against that
>beekeeper.

This just in:
> Near LaBelle in Hendry County, Imogene Risner said her niece was washing a
horse near their home last year when a cloud of bees attacked, besieging the
animal's head and face. The horse died that night after suffering about
2,000 stings, she said. Hayes' department then performed DNA tests on hives
that Risner's husband, an amateur beekeeper, was tending nearby. She said
the state workers killed all 40 hives with soapy water after several of
those tests came back positive for Africanized genes — a result she disputes.

See:
Killer bees set up shop in Florida
By Robert P. King
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 14, 2006
http://tinyurl.com/9v2kl

* I posted excerpts from "A Successful Invader" on January first, 2006. My
hope was not to alarm people, but to get a good discussion going. The facts
need to be made available. Not as many southern beekeepers have chimed in as
I would have liked, but the discussion has been lively. We need to keep it
going so that we are all informed and that misconceptions do not get
perpetuated.

Peter Borst
Danby NY