From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:14:50 -0500
Adony Melathopoulos wrote:
>I do not, however, believe that economics should be the only thing deciding
whether a trait is bred for.

No, I don't either. I was taking the position of the average beekeeper when
I said that the bees should serve the beekeeper. I think there is immense
value in the work that has been done to try to preserve and restore native
bees in western Europe. Of course, there were no native honey bees here!

However, disease resistance and overall vigor has something for everyone,
whether you are pushing for maximum profit or just want a few hives in the
yard that can survive without a lot of expensive treatments and endless
monitoring of pest levels.

But in the final analysis, it may be that the future belongs to the
beekeepers that stay on the crest of the wave of new ideas. I love to pore
over the old books and journals, but I am afraid the solution to today's
problems aren't in there.

pb