From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:28:41 -0500
Peter remarked about seeing what he considered an unusual hive configuration
during a US trip and asked how often it was used and whether it was limited
to certain purposes, such as pollination.

Here in the Northeast, what we call a one and a half (1 ½) story hive is
commonly used.  I believe it is also a very common configuration in parts of
the upper mid-west.  The deep (the '1') is a standard Langstroth, 9.5" deep.
The medium can be either 4¾", 5.5", 6 5/8" or 7 5/8" deep.  Unfortunately,
all of these sizes are more or less 'standard', meaning that one can buy
wired brood foundation and frames to fit.  Most common, by far, is 6 5/8".

I believe the original purpose of this configuration was to reduce weight
when moving hives, while providing plenty of space for brood production.
This configuration allows room for sufficient honey and pollen storage (90
lbs.) for our long winters.  In recent years, several well-known authors
have advocated this configuration for hobbyists as it is far easier to
manipulate than two deeps.

When I advise beekeepers to use this configuration I suggest over-wintering
with the medium on the bottom.  This makes it easier to find the queen in
the spring (as she will almost certainly be in the deep) and to make splits.
If the medium is on the top the brood will be split between both boxes and
the queen can be in either box.  This makes it harder to find her and more
difficult to make up good splits.

The only disadvantage I have found is that the bees are more inclined to
swarm with this configuration than with three deeps.  I don't find they are
more likely to swarm compared to two deeps.  While I personally keep most
hives in three deeps, I don't often move bees and don't advise hobbyists to
do so because of the necessary added expertise and muscles.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb