From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:26:09 -0400
Great quote Dick!  Thanks!

Even with surface temperatures of 70c, it would still be a very hot
environment for a colony to cope with.  Here’s a feral colony in the link
below that was situated on a black top driveway.  The homeowner reported
that the bees  were in a massive frenzy all over her bird feeder that was
covered an inch thick with water foragers.  The water foragers efforts
failed and the colony did suffer a catastrophic meltdown.   IMO, a lava
field or a black top driveway would be an extreme environment for any
colony of bees to cope with.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/naturebee/detail?.dir=d450&.dnm=722c.jpg&.src
=ph

Most quotes on this subject are similar to the one found in Apis-UK Issue
No.33 March 2005 (quoted below), where they state “air temperatures”.  It
does seem unreasonable that air temperatures would be that high, but
that’s not really an essential part of my point anyhow.

My point is that “a colony of bees needs water for brood rearing,
liquefying stores and cooling the colony, I really don’t have a desire to
quibble about the details, or the validity of other peoples quotes.  But
thanks again, that's some nice research!

Apis-UK Issue No.33 March 2005 :
"Lindauer in 1954 placed a beehive on a lava field where air temperatures
reached 70°C. The bees were able to maintain a brood nest temperature of
35°C."

Joe