From:
Olda Vancata <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:01:03 +0200
Mark Otts wrote:

> Since Erik Osterlund is not a member of this list, he asked that I
> post this for him.

> Just a few comments from me on the subject of survivability of
> Elgon bees in connection with varroa mites. I have written two
> articles where initial trials were described in Israel and Denmark,
> in ABJ May -99 and in ABJ article which can be read here:
> http://beesource.com/pov/osterlund/abjmar2001.htm

Those articles were written by a "seller" and must be regarded as
"advertizing" rather than objective descriptions of facts.

Elgon bees were tested by the Swedish University of Agricultural
Sciences and by Landesanstalt fur Bienenkunde an der Universitat
Hohenheim (Germany). Both come to the same conclusion. No
difference was found between Elgon and "other bees" in terms of
varroa tolerance.

\vov