From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 09:40:45 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:

> What will be the ultimate outcome?  I expect that since all the most
> effective players are neutralized that the question will be settled by
> semi-trailers and pickup trucks and billfolds.  I predict the three
> establishments will remain statemated, and that the people will decide the
> way they always have: by doing what they please, with or without official
> sanction.

That may be the case in other areas or countries, but not here in Maine.
We do have a State inspection system and it is for the benefit of the
growers (who foot some of the bill for the Inspector's assistant!). They
want healthy, vigorous colonies since that is what they are paying for.

If AHB are detected, and it does not matter how thorough the test or how
good the science, the Blueberry growers will send that pollinator
packing. The pollinators are totally at the mercy of the growers and the
State Inspector, not the other way around. And there is no way any
grower will harbor AHB if told a pollinator has them, since one call to
a local newspaper will have the area in panic over killer bees and the
whole program of bringing bees into the State will become a political
football. Not to mention the liability involved with one stinging
incident.

All that it has taken in the past is a whisper in a pollinator's ear to
get them to change their practices. In Maine pollinators or growers do
not "decide the way they always have: by doing what they please, with or
without official sanction". The truth is, they listen and do what the
Inspector tells them. With a few exceptions, they are a lawful,
respectful bunch. I would guess that this is not the exception but the
rule. Why place their business at risk?

But, maybe those States and countries that do not have an inspection
program have more morally challenged pollinators. I would hope not, and
doubt if that is true. Again, why place your business at risk?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me