From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:45:25 -0700
> 2)  Mass-production approaches as used by larger beekeepers are simply
>     NOT APPROPRIATE for a small, or even mid-sized beekeepers.
>     Mass-production approaches, where hives are standardized merely
>     for handling, movement, and the convenience of preventing hired
>     hands from making mistakes, are clearly not intended to maximize
>     colony strength or honey production

I hope that no one believes that.  Good beekeeping is good beekeeping, and
lots of guys I know who do what Bob and I described get upwards of 300 pound
crops, averaged over hundreds or thousands of hives.  Not every year,
granted, but I know quite a few who have long-term averages well over 200
pounds, doing things that way.

As for maximizing colony strength and/or honey production for their own
sake, that is an idealistic, rather than practical, goal.

Most beekeepers -- hobbyist, sideline and commercial -- understand that the
most prudent plan to follow is one that aims for maximum profit, accompanied
by minimum risk, rather than a simpleminded pursuit of maximum colony
strength and/or maximum honey crop.

Additionally, a frugal beekeeper realises that encouraging huge populations
at the wrong time of year can eat him out of house and home, and also cause
a neighbourhood nuisance.

As always, the locality and it's seasonal flora must be considered, and bee
populations managed fit in with the local bloom.   Many smart beekeepers
choose strains of bees that adjust their populations to the time of year,
reducing populations in fall, and building quickly in spring.  Others use
excluders or plug the broods with feed after the crop comes off, to restrict
brood rearing, and reduce potential fall populations when no flow is
expected.

Managing colonies, as described previously by Bob and myself, to avoid
robbing, preserves valuable colonies that might otherwise be overcome by
robbing, and prevents robbing incidents with the accompanying risk of
stinging incidents that can panic or harm nearby humans and livestock.

Granted, a sideliner can often improve a bit on what the commercial operator
does, by being more on time, and spending a bit more time with each hive,
and but the principles of good beekeeping are the same for 5 hives or
50,000.

Bob was not silly to state his opinion on how a prudent commercial beekeeper
would manage, and he was not wrong in his facts.  Whether his observations
were appropriate for the situation that inspired the comments, no one knows.
His comments seemed to be right on the money, to me.

I know that Bob, in all his years, has seen lots of outfits that were not
properly cared for in the fall, and knows the inevitable consequences.  I
know I sure have, and this case sure looked like one of those wrecks, to
both of us.

> b) Consistency has nothing to do with excellence.

Now, this statement is false, and, actually, silly.  Consistency is an
integral part of excellence.  Without consistency there cannot be
excellence.

> c) Bee colonies vary in strength.

This statement is true, but consistency should not to be confused with
sameness or mediocrity.  Of course, there will always be some variation
among living things.

One of the signs of an excellent beekeeper is the consistent suitability of
his or her colonies and equipment to the purpose at hand, and consistent
management.

Commercial or hobbyist, consistent, knowledgeable and purposeful management
is the mark of excellence in beekeeping.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/