From:
Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 03:53:30 -0600
I think all Bee-L'ers should take the comments appended to this post
very seriously.  I have been thinking about this problem for some time,
and now that a thread has opened, I feel obliged to speak out.

What follows is an analysis of the situation, from my point of view.

I have periodically reviewed the subscriber list of Bee-L and I have
noticed a strong trend for the "professionals" (i.e. those people _paid_
to offer info and support to beekeepers) to turn over faster than
average subscribers.  I suggest that if you want these people to read
and reply to your questions, don't fill their mailboxes up with comments
about your local weather.

In my opinion, Bee-L now offers nothing more than the equivalent to the
local monthly beekeepers club meeting.  Occasional gems of info hidden
in piles of anecdotes and tangential discussions.

If this list is _really_ a discussion of bee biology, then this should
be respected.  If it is not, then lets clear this matter up, so that
those people who think they are subscribed to a list dedicated to bee
biology can unsubscribe and save themselves some time.  I'm OK with a
beekeepers chat list, but lets not kid ourselves.

Sorry to rave, but it is getting really bad.

Other lists I am on are tightly controlled, the right to post freely is
often restricted to those who haven't a history of posting 'noise'.  It
would be unfortunate if this list needed to take this step (or if an
alternate list was formed with this intent).

Remember Strunk and White's famous dictum of style:  "omit unnecessary
words"!

If you want to flame me, please do so directly.  Not to the list.

Phil

BTW, can we set this list up so that replys go to the sender, not the
list?

Here's some recent discussion of this issue.

>I'M signing off Bee-L. I am interested in bees, Not evolution,
>flames, spelling or any other hang ups people have. There are some
>really good discussions out there but too much trash.

>I feel exactly the same - it's a long time since I've read so much wooly
>rubbish. However, I intend to persevere in the hope of finding the odd
>silk purse amongst the pigs' ears.

>By the way  I think these lengthy notes on Bee line are great.  Even the
>ones that I find boring I can zap out of existence in milliseconds.

Comment:
Not if, like myself, you get the list in digest form, to avoid
congesting your mailbox.  In that case, you have to scroll through the
whole thing.  Usually, one long message and you get fed up and erase the
whole day's worth of posts.

>as a bonus there are some (NB. SOME!) very
>expert people on the list who spend a lot of time sharing their knowledge
>quite freely which can only be good for world beekeeping.  It is up to you
>to select the best from the rest

Comment:
It is to your advantage to encourage, rather than discourage, the
experts.  You should select _before_ you post.

>Suggested New Year's resolution for all contributors.....
>PLEASE don't quote the whole of the messsage to which you are replying.

I hope I conformed...

BTW2,  I definately don't consider myself an expert, except perhaps in
my own very narrow speciality.  Rather, my research and beekeeping has
brought me in contact with _real_ experts, many of whom have expressed
regret at leaving Bee-L for the reasons I state.  Of course, to those
who remain, BRAVO!  You are of infinite patience (or new to the web).

Thanks for your attention.