From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 03:07:07 -0600
  Occasionally I get questions from readers of my dairy that touch on
topics that are debated here.  I took a little time to work on this
reply, and, since the question is a common one on this list, and, since
I'm a painfully slow typist, I thought I'd maximize on the effort by
sharing this one here, now.

  ---

  I have to ask you a question: reading your diary, I saw that you're
treating with Apistan now. I assume spring in the same phase here in
Sweden as in Alberta (dandelions about three weeks away).

  Over here, spring Apistan treatment is a definite no-no. I have asked
our national bee disease expert about this and he claims it's strictly
forbidden. Also, the instructions on Apistan packages here say treat 6-8
weeks in the fall AFTER honey harvest.

  Is spring Apistan treatment considered (or proved) safe or are your
regulations less strict than ours?

ApistanŽ instructions vary from one country to another.  Our packaging
specifies use " in the spring before the first honey flow and in the
fall after the last honey flow".  Also, "For best chemical distribution,
use APISTAN STRIPS when daytime high temperatures are at least 10
degrees C."  We understand that by "flow', the package means flows that
are large enough to require supers.  Otherwise, we would never be able
to put strips in, because, around here, there is always a risk of a
light flow during any 42 day period during seasons when it is not too
cold to use them.

We are having a very slow, cold, spring.  We are still barely able to
get to some hives.  Daytime temperatures were in the minus teens last
week.  We would have liked to put on apistan several weeks ago, but the
weather has been against us.  For us, the dandelion flow is 5 weeks
away.  Silver willow 7.  Nonetheless, we never make enough to store in
supers or extract until mid-June or July, at the earliest .  Spring
flows in our area are used for build-up and splitting only.

  Alternative treatments (acids, drone brood removal and the small
cells) are pushed hard around here, but winter losses to varroa have
been huge this winter and more people are moving toward Apistan. I'm
sure many would like to use it this spring to save whatever colonies
they have left.

I, frankly, have little use for such methods when a small Apistan
treatment works so well.

  a.. Drone removal seems, to me, unnatural, invasive, and labour
intensive.
  b.. Small cells, I do not understand, even though I had several
articles published in Bee Culture about my visit to Lusbys'.  Besides,
all my comb is 5.2 and larger.
  c.. Acids (see here) are messy, slightly dangerous, slower, more
labour intensive -- and more variable in their efficacy.  Moreover, a
recent post to sci.agriculture.beekeeping , by a regular contributor,
complains about an almost total loss after oxalic fumigation.
Apistan works well for us.  Our fall mite drops (natural - 24 hour) were
all less than one varroa per day, and our only treatment had been one
strip in spring.  We did have an extremely dry spring and summer, though
and that may have the effect of reducing varroa.  Nonetheless, I learned
this spring 1-strip technique from a beekeeper with 12,000 hives who
claims to never get over 300 mites with his fall 24 hour
Apistan-assisted drop samples.

As always, YMMV.  Each region and each beekeeper is unique, and what
works for one, may not work for another.  Whatever method is chosen, the
prudent beekeeper will follow up with careful observation, and tests to
verify success.  A smart beekeeper listens to everything, but reserves
judgment until he or she has proven it in his or her own bee yard(s).

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/