Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 18:56:38 GMT
>>Imagine, if all of a sudden, every beekeeper were to become
organic, then the differential would evaporate, and the formerly
niche market would be flooded, and become the mass market, driving
prices down.

This assumes that the organic and un-organic producers' costs are
about the same.  Are they?  Organic farming is costlier that big ag,
hence their prices are higher.  I don't know that organic beekeepers
and farmers have a higher profit margin.  Do they?

>>a mass adoption of "organic" production methods would be bad news
for the current group.  How about that?

It would be grand if everyone went organic! :)  It's not possible for
most.  It's certainly not possible for me.  The 2-mile radius around
my apiary would have to have only organic forage.  That's an
impossibility in my suburban environment.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY