Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:06:01 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
 I started beekeeping as a 10-11 year old, when I "inherited" my grandfather's 2 hives he kept to pollinate his orchard (he developed allergies to bee stings).  As a teen I built up the apairy producing comb honey for Draper's Super Bees.  A turn of events led to a different career than beekeeping and I have spent the last 22 plus years in the US Air Force, where I have had the opportunity to visit with beekeepers around the world (Phillipines, Korea, Middle East).  At some of the places I have also been lucky enough to have a hive or 2 of my own.  Now as I am approaching retirement, I have been building up a sideline operation in the Florida Pan handle.  In this operation, I practise making walk away splits (My best results come when I make sure there is no larvae but rather eggs in 1 frame with 2 frames of capped brood.  Some of the walk away splits I made early this year produced a surplus of 4-5 illinois supers of honey.  I use Api life var, and powdered sugar to keep varroa in check. And I am the president of the Tupelo beekeepers Assosciation.

--

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2