From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:43:54 EDT

In a message dated 17/10/2007 11:24:44 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<Buckfast is an ongoing project to improve bees by incorporation  new
strains and evaluate the result. Same as we do with most other food
production. The proponents of a.m.m. are doing the opposite, trying to
revert back to something lost 100 years ago. World has changed a lot
since then. I think we need different bees today to cope with the ever
increasing movement of bugs and diseases due to our travel and
transports. Vi need the vitality crosses between strains/races can
create. But I'm afraid Chris, Dave, Robert might have a different
view... ;-)>>

Of course. If Amm had genuinely been lost in the  IoW disease epidemic,
whatever it really was, then we wouldnt be able to go out  and find it still
thriving! I do think something has been lost though. I read  old books, and find
accounts of prolific Amm strains that I'd give a lot to be  able to try, if only
to compare them with what we currently have. But as I said  in an earlier
post, I can normally handle them without worrying about  stings. When I find
Italian hybrids over here (not over there, three  leagues beyond the wild world's
end) which are as reliable, I'll start to  consider them seriously. There are
other aspects of the hybrids which I dislike  as well, but my number one
consideration, with close neighbours, is that I have  to have bees which I can
handle without donning full plate armour.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley,
Birmingham  UK