From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 20:36:44 -0400
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/529966/

Source: Cornell University 	  	Released: Sat 12-May-2007, 14:00 ET

Newswise — Scientists are working hard to understand the sources of a staggering decline in
honeybees in as many as 27 U.S. states and countries in Europe and Asia this winter, said Cornell
associate professor of entomology Nicholas Calderone, during a media teleconference May 10.

In the United States, half a million to a million colonies out of a total 2.4 million colonies have died
this winter. Both tracheal mites (Acarapis woodi) and varroa mites (Varroa destructor) have
threatened the bee industry since the 1980s, causing similar catastrophic die-offs to bee
populations in the winters of 1995-96 and 2000-01. The mites feed on U.S. honeybees and act as
a vector for a number of bee viruses, though varroa mites are especially deadly. While many bees
this year exhibit symptoms of mite damage, about 25 percent of the deaths this year cannot be
attributed to mites or any other known honeybee pest, Calderone said. (end of article quote)

Ok we now have two researchers using the aproximate of 25% of this past winter losses are
attributed to CCD. Dr. Calderone uses a wide range of .5million -1.0 million for total winter losses
so the CCD estimate using his information is 125.000-250,000 hives affected.

I highly suspect now that the Apiary Inspectors of America estimate of 25% of colonies is out of
context and it should really read 25% of the TOTAL winter losses.

So there we have it 2 researchers corraborating the same general statistic which can also be
indirectly referenced back to Jerry Hayes and the AIA.

I think we can now safely say that an estimated 10% of hives in the USA were lost to Colony
Collapse Disorder since fall of 2006.