From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:56:35 -0700
On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Allen Dick wrote:

> > I suspect the real analysis needed would not be the nitrogen in the feed
> > or bee but in any case it would be impossible to correct any problems in
> > the bees then living and a new cycle of bees would need to be reared
> > with the corrected diet to make any difference in the hive.
>
> This is something I wonder about;  I understand that newly hatched bees
> seek out and eat pollen, and the amount and quality that they consume
> determines how robust they will be.

  Hi Allen,
   In Steve Tabers book, Breeding super Bees. He addresses the issue of
the quality of pollen as being important for drone production.If the
quality is down the hive will be unable to raise drones. Protien quality
and quanity has to be an important part of early developement. In raising
queens it is very important , with plenty of good nurse bees.
 I wish I had more info on old worker bees. I have noticed workers getting
honey and passing it around , but not pollen. I bet someone has a hive set
up with a camera that can answer the question for us.
 We are what we eat. May have some truth to it in bees also. I know that
they need a complete diet and all protiens are not equal.

 Best Regards
  Roy