From:
Wayne Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 12:55:30 -0400
Hi Erin,Peter,and all,

Thank you for trying to figure out what is eating my bees.Yesterday I spent
a little time watching my hives to catch a view of what might be doing
it.In a short time I spotted my problem bird.The bird is almost completely
red as a cardinal,but does not have a tuft on top it`s head.

I do have some cardinals eating from my feeders daily so I know what they
look like.This bird was almost completely red with a little  sort of
blackish area about where his wing would be when folded.I looked at birds
in Google,and there are numerous bee,and fly eating birds.I cannot be sure
of which it is in the pictures.Some of the birds were so similar in looks.

This bird would sit in my apple tree while eating one bee,then fly down
across the vent holes in a hive,and pick up another bee,than would land in
another small tree,eat that bee,then repeat the same thing while heading
back to the apple tree again.

I did watch this for probably 15 minutes,but didn`t want to kill such a
pretty bird.I am going to try using a fake owl.If that doesn`t do the trick
then the bird will probably disappear for good.

I do shoot undesirable birds with my pellet gun which is quiet,so it would
be easy to shoot him,but he is so pretty that I really don`t
want to do it,

Wayne