From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:20:13 -0600

> I think this is a "MIssion Impossible" senario. I don't believe it has my
> best interests in mind, nor will the outcome be any different - we'll
> still have mites on
> Oahu.

Howard it is my opinion and most researchers that there are two kinds of
beekeepeers in the *world*!
" Those which have not got varroa and those waiting to get varroa."'

The last time killing off hives because of a mite discovery in the U.S.
(tracheal mites) happened it did little to stop the problem and I believe
the USDA now understands such action is not the answer. Those six (I
believe ) beekeepers were put out of the business without compensation.

I know you are talking rumors Howard but I doubt you are going to get
$100-150 compensation for your hives if a depopulation happens. Takes
special legislation to provide funds.

The research behind depopulating hives is sound ( with one big *what if*).
Varroa will be gone from those hives after a week or so and replacing with
varroa free package bees will eliminate varroa in those colonies but what
about *feral swarms*(possibly even the source of your varroa and arrived off
a ship) ?

 I believe you are most likely correct about varroa being in your area for a
few years. If so I would hope the USDA would simply understand you now have
got varroa in your area and we can all move on.

Hope things work out for you Howard! If I can be of help please contact me
by email. Let me know the name of the person which might want to depopulate
hives and perhaps I would be on a first name basis with the person so would
try to contact said person and see if I could help.

Hopefully you can learn about ways to handle varroa and your world will go
on.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--