Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:58:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
> I think screened bottom boards are a mistake.

I second that. In fact, I was going to write anyway, but saw you beat me to it. We studied these puppies for years at the Dyce Lab. While we were unable to see any harm from them, neither did we see any benefit. 

Besides, the whole theory is nuts. Let me put it to you like this: varroa and SHB managed to populate the entire country in a very short time. Do you really think that a bug which falls on the ground won't be able to get back in the hive? 

Any varroas falling off the cluster are probably old and dying; they are not the problem. The problem is the mites in the brood. The reproduction of mites in the brood is what you need to stop! 

People like screened bottoms because it's something they can build. But there is no solid support (wink) for them. In fact, the whole idea is shot full of holes (on a roll now). 

Meanwhile, the Dyce Lab showed that drone brood trapping severely reduces mite population buildup. But folks don't want to do that -- too much work. 

In fact, I have been doing this all season. I use a standard empty wooden frame. I check them about every two weeks and cut the comb out if it's capped drones or honey (during a honey flow they are apt to fill it in with solid honey). 

It takes a second to cut the comb out and put the frame back in. A bit longer to put all the supers back on, but it gives you a chance to actually see how the hive is doing rather than guessing by looking at the top bars 

Pete

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2