From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:46:03 -0400
Brian writes
> As a stationary beekeeper who does not use the 3 most common beekeeper applied poisons and does not perform commercial pollination, I can't help but wonder how relevant the data is to my little world?

Well, you certainly have a point. I have noticed time and again that some beekeepers are able to thrive in niches. And few if any of them are using Apistan or Coumaphos. However, others are doing poorly and we aren't quite sure why some do well and some don't. If you don't have to truck your bees, consider yourself lucky! Some simply cannot make it by staying in one place.

On the other hand, if migratory beekeepers decide to stay put, that will no doubt impact on the rest of us. I know one migratory who has bee yards all over my township which he hasn't used in years. He usually moves his bees around, but if he stopped doing that he might decide to park a thousand hives right here in my township! This area is already thick with bees, so that won't be a happy change.

plb