From:
Dave Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:33:02 -0500
I used this on all my 18 hives just Sunday afternoon. The more you shake the
more mites you see.  Use #8 mesh, the other is too fine for the mites (
balled in powdered sugar ) to fall through.  Last fall I tried window
screen, didn't see many mites but when I got home looked with a hand lens,
they were in the sugar jar.  I just shake onto the next hive's metal lid.
Pretty easy to see them as they wiggle and kick.  A hot metal lid lets you
have a measure of revenge.

I think in the Nebraska Master Beekeeper class they said you would get about
twice what you got with ether roll, so if you would treat when you had 5
mites on an ether roll test, now you would treat with 10 mites / 200 bees.

http://ianrwww.unl.edu/ianr/entomol/beekpg/tidings/btid2000/btdjan00.htm#Art
icle2

Dave