From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 07:52:52 -0400
This is sort of an apology as well as a justification for my continuing
questioning of different mite control techniques posted on the BeeL.

I have been the editor of the Maine State Beekeepers newsletter. Since
mite control is probably the hottest topic in beekeeping circles, I
wanted to keep our State Beekeepers current on what works and what does
not. I was and am critical on word of mouth or single point of
information ideas. I have seen too many hot ideas that sounded perfectly
rational turn bust when tested independently.

Before I buy most anything I like to check Consumer Reports as well as
talk to others who have the item. In like vein, I like to act as the
Consumer Reports of Beekeeping for the Maine readers, so I want as much
info as possible, including my own quasi-scientific tests before I
recommend anything.

I probably have been too insistent in some cases, and for that I
apologize. But I also appreciate those who came back rationally and
dispassionately with point by point answers to my questions. Sometimes,
I was brushed off. And often, in those cases, I received e-mail from
those who tried the technique and suffered very bad results. They did
not want to post to the list for fear of how they would be treated.

Which leads me to my final point. After six years, I am turning over the
editorship of the Bee Line. Anything new will be for me to test on my
own, as I have in the past. I have told the new editors (took two to
replace me :) about the wealth of info on the BeeL. Now I can sit back
and mellow out. I will try to keep the requests for independent tests to
a minimum. It will take some time, but I will try.

Bill Truesdell (mellow as he chews on an Apistan strip)
Bath, ME (I said mellow. I retain the right to be irreverent.)