From:
Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:59:01 -0500
As Keith has pointed out, a native bee was born here. Nativity is where
you were born. Endemia is where your "group" originated from or has been
established for so long that you are an important part of the historic
ecology. I.e. White Tail Deer are endimic to North America, but one can
be born in Europe in a zoo, and it is a native of Europe in that case
even though they are endemic to North America.

The bees that were endemic to the americas are the trigona and melipona
species of bees. These are stingless bees which build tiny nests in
comparison to Apis mellifera. There are however records of european
honey bees having been carried to the east coast of the americas as
early as the vikings. And there is some supporting genetic evidence that
bees crossed the asian/alaskan ice bridge along with people (ancestors
of the inuits and other Endemic American Tribes). These people as well
also have asian genetic markers. Don't ask me for references, I don't
save them. It's important to me for me, not to prove it to others.
Everyone here know that I don't often have references to share.
Sometimes, but not very often.

--
Scot McPherson
The McPherson Family Honey Farms