From:
William Morong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:13:10 -0500
This was a weird winter here in Maine and weird things have happened here.
Losses probably would have been terrible without vigilance.  So far we're 16
of 16 alive including one late September split that is now a nice cluster
six frames in diameter.
The crazy Cordovans that ran out of food after Christmas ought to be dead,
but are still eating candy and inhaling pollen patties.  They, and one other
monster colony are a quite dungy, but seem not much affected by that
condition.  These only have been given syrup with Fumidil, that being the
best I can do for them now.

After our balmy fall and early winter, too many colonies have gotten up top
too soon for comfort, and they're too big.  However, despite having had
candy cakes for several weeks, the amount of candy they've eaten clearly is
not the totality of their sustenance.  I suspect that candy being easy to
cluster beneath and even into, it tides bees over when cold might separate
them from their now-scattered honey.  As soon as warmth allows them to move
about freely, they scrounge up more honey.  If this is correct, with the
amount of pollen being eaten, one might soon expect a large surge in
population suddenly to deplete the remaining scattered honey, causing a real
period of danger.  Given the size of the clusters I'm not anxious
prematurely to wind up my queens, but there are #200 of sugar here for
syrup, and the feeders are waiting.  I'll be relieved when the largest
danger becomes swarming.

I lack experience to say more than that the reports of dead colonies sadden
me, and  that probably it could have happened here, and yet could.  Those
reporting these difficulties with details of what they found really help the
rest of us look for danger.  I've repeatedly read the advice to leave the
bees alone in winter.  Last year I did not, and found foulbrood that was
eliminated before warm weather could allow robbing.  Already this year that
advice would have cost me several colonies.
George Imirie's winter question "Are your bees alive?" continues to guide
and motivate.

Bill Morong