From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 06:17:19 -0400
I have been searching the list archives regarding EFB.
I have found posts stating that the bacteria is NOT spore forming.  However,
I have a considerable number of fairly new frames with permadent foundation
that contain scale. There has been a lot of list traffic in the past
regarding sterilization of plastic foundation with AFB scale.  But almost
nothing has been written about EFB scale.

From an old post by Joe Hemmens:

Sid Pullinger wrote (also several years ago):

 > I have an old
> freezer I use as a fumigation chest, using acetic acid to fumigate against
> EFB and nosema.

Now, my question is what would be the best methods of treating these frames
(radiation and ethylene dioxide and not options here) in view of the
information above.  Sid, is your acetic acid fumigation for frame treatment
when scale is present, or just for prevention?

I have found that scraping the frames back to the permadent and then
pressure washing does NOT take off the scale.  Perhaps soaking them first in
something would help.

If melissococcus pluton is not spore forming, then how long does the scale
remain infective?

Regards,
Stan