From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:39:43 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Bill
Truesdell <[log in to unmask]> writes

>"Natural" pesticides that are much more destructive to the environment
>than many "manufactured" pesticides are approved.

Since this debate is not applied to bees, I would prefer to cry "foul",
as an answer and ensuing debate would not be allowed unless it referred
principally to bees.

However, as one outfit I keep bees in and sell honey and candles
through, has made and markets organic produce including wax base for
ointments and propolis in one, often using organic oils as other
ingredients, I will reply briefly.

In the UK, there are 2 (possibly more) agencies approving organic
produce. The Soil Association sets the more stringent standards - to
market organic eggs means not only feeding organic feeds and requires
all hens to range freely. The Organic Farmers and Growers requires only
organic feeds, which hardly adds much to the cost, but adds greatly to
the profit. The customer has to be well informed to discern this.
However, this latter agency is the only one which has the expertise to
vet the ointments, though I am happy with the standards they set.
Propolis can be from wild sources and comply.

Given the very strong move towards organic, I remember debates which
suggested that the big enterprises hijacked the word and reduced its
meaning as legislation about the use of the word "organic" was pending.

As an example to show how bizarre our legislation is on applying the
term "organic", I am now breaking British law by informing you that
diluting your urine and spraying apple trees deals with codling moth.
Two sprays, different dilutions, autumn and spring. It is commonly used
by organic growers, at least on a small scale!
--
James Kilty