From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:33:33 -0500
>  >>What exactly is the mechanism by which the oxalic acid in the
>trickle method kills mites?
>
>  The theory is that the
>ingested solution makes the bees' blood pH more acidic. When the mites
>feed on the
>treated bees' blood, they drop dead.

Marion Ellis, U of Nebraska, has been doing work on trickled Oxalic and
sugar syrup. I heard him talk at the NY Empire State meeting, last fall. He
believes that the bees spread the syrup onto each other by rubbing against
each other, and the mites are killed by contact with the acid. He in fact
said that he didn't believe the bees actually ate the syrup. I think he
said that syrup on the top bars remained on the top bars, without being
cleaned up by the bees.

Aaron, you were at that meeting. Have I got it right?

Mike