From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:56:40 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

if one  encounters a hot hive in ahb territory (or not) and there is a
serious  stinging incident, why does anyone need a lab test (fabis/dna) to help
determine the fate of such a colony?  if they are dangerously
defensive/aggressive, they should be dealt with regardless of what the lab  says.

There are many reasons why a colony may exhibit bad temper that are nothing
 to do with their genes. As an example I recently was asked by a friend to
sort  out one of her colonies that she found to be overly aggressive. It is
on a  platform (to keep it above flood levels) at the end of her garden.  I
went  through it, marking the queen, and it was fine - maybe 1 sting.  The
difference was that I gave it some smoke before touching the platform
whereas  she normally climbed the platform and then lit the smoker etc.  Although
she is a lightweight it must have felt like an earthquake to the bees when
she  climbed onto the platform and understandably the guards were put out of
 sorts.

Chris