From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 23:38:35 -0600
> I have had continual problems with this hive producing queen cups and
> queen cells.  I didn't cut them out last week, and today they were capped.
> I did, however, find some new eggs in there.
> There is much less uncapped brood than there was, but there are quite
> a few eggs, in a decent pattern, but not really to my liking, and
> with no cells having multiple eggs.  I want to requeen, but I can't find
> that queen.  Is this the  right thing to do?

It is entirely normal for hives to produce cups, and not abnormal for hives to
have a cell on the go at any time.  However the threat or actual presence of
cells is threatening to many beekeepers, because they sometimes indicate an
intention to swarm, or a failing queen.  Oftentimes, they don't really indicate
anything.  Maybe they are just insurance.

If your hive has adequate room, a small population, and brood, I would just let
the bees do what they want.  Requeening sets a colony back and has risks.  It
should not be done capriciously.  There are bona fide reasons to requeen, and
good times to do it, but I can't guess from here.

If the eggs are on the bottom of the cells and hatching into normal brood that
goes on to be capped, I would let the bees carry on as they like.  Why the
amount of sealed brood is declining is a mystery, but I would guess that the
reason could be lack of feed, or disturbance from inspections.  Young brood is
very susceptible to killing from exposure to sunlight even for a few minutes.

Of course, a quick glance would tell me more than many paragraphs.  My advice:
find a local beekeeper and get her to take a look.  She might just say to
requeen.

allen
--
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/
Package installation & performance experiments, winter loss, fondant feeding,