From:
John Vos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 02:13:50 -0400
I am only a new beekeeper since last year for hobby only but willing to
learn and experiment. Last April I was lucky and managed to catch a very
large swarm in my neighbours garden. Last year I have collected a lot of
pro and con information on 4.9 foundation from the BEE-L messages and from
personal contact with the Dee Lusby. Now it only takes a crazy Dutchman
living in France to order some packages of 4.9 from Dadant in the
U.S. and have it shipped to France.
The swarm was directly put on 4.9 foundation and a screened bottom during a
honey flow. The swarm hive was set away from the other 5.5 hives with
screened bottoms and all checked weekly for Varroa, but no mites
were found in all of these 5 months. To me this is clear enough prove that
the Varroa mites don't like drafts and small larvae, while the other 5.5
hives have plenty of them. It's just too bad that now at the end of the
season I cannot shake the other hives in new hives with also 4.9 and find
out what will happen. Next year this will be the first point of action with
feeding if need be, but we have to beat the mite somehow to prevent great
loses and hardship. And these little bees look so beautiful and active,
while wash boarding often seems to be their favorite activity at the end of
their working day. BEEHAPPY