From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 07:27:33 -0500
Adony Melathopoulos wrote:

> I need to make up a large number of queen excluding cages to restrict queens to lay on a single frame.

My breeder queens are confined to 3 combs, but a breeder hive could be made to keep the queen on 1. Start with a good hive body. Cut a 1/4" rabbet, 3/8" deep, from the top edge to the bottom
edge, front and back. A trimmed queen excluder slides into this rabbet.These rabbets should be far enough from the sidewall to allow 1 (or 3) frame to fit in the space created. A bottom board
is created so the excluder will extend from the top edge of the box, to the bottom board. An entrance block is used so that the entrance is on the queenless side only. A grain bag is used for
the inner cover. It seals the queen in better than a wooden inner cover. When breeding is done for the year, transfer combs into standard equipment. The breeder queen and her colony can be
overwintered in 2 hive bodies if they build up well enough, or 1 hive body over the inner cover of a strong hive.
                                                                    Mike