Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:41:05 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Only to a certain extent... I see bee size an a number of incremental,
 quantum like, states that require an impetus to shift from one to another.

 In the absence of pressure for change the bees soldier on with what body
 size they find themselves in. >>

Dave,

Will not the natural environment in which the bees exist in our hypothetical
village provide the impetus for quantum creep?  This, of course, is on the
assumption that Dee is right and that currently bees are unnaturally larger
than intended and are disadvantaged by this.  We can see for ourselves that
bees naturally have a range of cell sizes in a comb.  The mechanism for
reduction, if it exists, could simply be that the colonies with more smaller
cells prosper comparatively and produce more/ earlier drones and swarms.

Congratulations on the fecundity of your family.  I think you said you live
in a small house.  Maybe the same applies to humans.

Chris