Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:17:48 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
This is not an easy operation.  Moving the entrance from the bottom to the top, will not dramatically affect the nest configuration or position.

I'd set up the queen with some brood in shallow frames (if they are available) under a queen excluder in 2-3 boxes at first.  I'd place an empty shallow on top of the excluder followed by the deep boxes.

They may start queen cells above the excluder and you will have to take them out until larvae are no longer available for this purpose.  All of the brood in the deeps will have emerged in 21 days and you should see by then a full re-concentration of bees around the new nest in the shallows.

They won't move the pollen but will first eat the pollen that's farthest from the new nest.  [In fact, you may be surprised at the speed.]  At the same time, they will store new pollen under and around the new broodnest.  I hope you have a good pollen flow at this time of the year...

As the broodnest in the shallows expands, the bees will gradually consolidate the honey on the sides and above the new nest.  As the night temps drop, this process will accelerate.  Uncapping the cells is said to further speed up the process.

Good luck.  I hope you have drawn shallow frames and enough time left before the cold.

Waldemar

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2