From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:04:30 +1300
> In New Zealand, AFB positive woodenware can be cooked
> in paraffin to kill AFB spores.  This can get hotter
> than boiling water which has a limit of 212 F.
>
> I did read the article concerning beach killing of AFB
> spores.  I read this with reservation and feel that
> this would be adopted in New Zealand instead of the
> paraffin method if it was really reliable.

No one in New Zealand (that I'm aware of) uses or plans to use the
information from Dr Mark Goodwin's research to disinfect woodware.  Mark was
testing the disinfecting ability (of a lot of methods and compounds) to
determine straightforward *contact disinfecting*.

From memory, the method was working with glass slides with AFB spores
(though I'm pretty sure he did do some wooden sticks as well), applying the
material, and testing to see what effect different rates and times gave.

The practical application would be, as another Kiwi described, for
disinfecting such things as (possibly) plastic frames, hive tools, excluders
and other gear that is not suitable for paraffin wax dipping.

Readers might find http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/disease useful to learn more
about Dr Goodwin's work...

Nick Wallingford
http://www.beekeeping.co.nz