From:
Harry Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:12:56 -0500

<< My question is this.  I plan to split both of my hives this year to head
 of swarming and to increase my number of hives from two to four.  I know
 this is a VERY regional thing with times varying widely based on climate,
 but I would appreciate some tips from you on how to proceed, what to look
 for, and any horrifying/great success stories you may have.  I plan to
 review "The_Hive_and_the_Honeybee" for more tip/procedures, and would
 also appreciate more reading suggestions.

 Thank you very much, for myself, and other beginners who will benefit
 from this thread.

 Steve Creasy-
 Maryville, Tennessee, USA >>

Here in California my bees are bringing in a lot of pollen and nectar.
My hive configurations are 1 to 3 brood chambers with honey supers
on the singles. I split the doubles and triples in late march, let the
queenless hives make a queen on their own or add a frame with
fresh eggs or find a queencell in one of the queenright colonies.
I expect an active swarm season like last year. I've had no losses
to mites in 4 years. I use only apistan in march, july, and november
for 4 to 6 weeks. Last year I took a full 6 5/8 super  in January.
We have mustard, eucalyptus, a creek loaded with flora and lots
of backyards around. Drool on beebro's.

Harry Sweet in the flood zone.
P.S.  ABC's & XYZ's is superior to the H & the H bee, check it out.