From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:33:54 -0700
> > I've fed many thousands of gallons of HFCS over the last 15 years
> > or so, and have yet to see dysentery problems.
>
> HCFS is not as good as granulated sugar for bee feed. But it is not as bad
> as other feeds. But if not prepared properly, can be deadly.
> Studies by Baily writing in the 1966 Journal of Apiculture Research in
> England showed that all the other winter feeds caused increased bee
> mortality to some degree.

Bill covers the topic really well.

I want to add to his, some comments received from a researcher in response to a
recent  enquiry.  I had sent him a post to BEE-L that I was unsure about, prior
to okaying it.  The post in question was advocating using apple cider vinegar in
sugar syrup feed.  I had some concerns about possible effects of the acid
present in vinegar.

---- begin quote -----
We have tested a variety of syrups on wintered and spring bees
(different ages of sucrose and corn, acid hydrolysed, high sodium
water etc).  I presented these results at the ... meetings.  I
have not tested the use of vinegar in sugar but would not
recommend the addition of any sort of acid to syrup that is to be
fed as a fall feed.

The bottom line is that wintered bees are more susceptible than
spring bees (particularly with any level of acid in the syrup) and if
you are unsure about the quality of syrup you should use it as a
spring feed.   Spring bees seem to be physiologically better
adapted to handle the poorer quality syrups.  Bees can tolerate
some level of acidity even in winter feed (e.g. HFCS corn syrups)
but do better in terms of their survival on syrup with combinations
that have low titratable acidity.
---- end quote ----

We have previously discussed the case that occurred in western Canada a few
seasons ago in which off-spec HFCS killed thousands of hives.  The problem seems
to have been pinned on acids used in the batches in question.

I remember seeing a presentation in which the results of comparative bee feed
tests were shown.  When caged bees were given various feeds and the longevity
was measured, the table sugar solution came out first.  On-spec HFCS did almost
as well, and gave somewhere around 80% of the lifespan as I recall.  Other feeds
were pretty bad.

This is an artificial situation, and the reason for the differences is not
entirely proven, nor is it proven that the results apply to bees on comb, but
acid components in feed are strongly implicated in reduced bee survival over and
over again...

Bee longevity is important in wintering; it would be a shame to have your bees
survive all winter and die and leave your hive in a spotty mess just as the
spring arrives, especially after eating all your expensive feed.

Here in the north, winters are a few months longer than in the south, and every
day each bee lives increase the chance of the hive surviving and prospering
until spring.

allen

PS: As far as apple cider vinegar is concerned, some ascribe almost mystical
powers to it for human maladies and other purposes.  Personally, I don't know.
It didn't do much for me.  If it is a good feed additive, I would like to have
some proof such as controlled comparisons and the endorsement of an extension or
research person.