From:
Marcin Matelski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2019 01:44:56 +0000
Very recently I checked on 12 hives. 7 of those were started with southern packages in 2018, 4 were nucs made up of local bees with 2018 queens raised from overwintered colonies and 1 was an overwintered colony from 2017. 11 out of the 12 hives are being overwintered in 2 deeps and 1 in 3 deeps.

Out of the 7 packages all are alive and looked packed. Bees were in top boxes spread across 8-9 frames. Hives still had some food but were light. Candy boards were added in early December as those colonies were at the top already then. Candy boards were replaced what recent inspection.

3 out of 4 nucs are still alive. The one that died left a lot of honey, almost 8 frames with food. The remaining 3 are clustered between the two boxes and candy boards were almost untouched. Hives were heavier than package hives and the colonies didn't look as populous as the package hives, maybe 6 frames of bees at most.

The 1 overwintered colony looked the weakest at 4 frames of bees located just underneath the inner cover with plenty of food in the box underneath.

So what does that mean? Well to me it seems that any US bee/queen/colony is capable of overwintering in northern climate if certain things are managed. But it seems like some colonies require more input/management to overwinter them. I like beekeeping and if I can get away with less feeding and less winter management using local bees and still achieve my goals, then I'll do that. Just personal opinion based on my experience.

Marcin

Chicago