Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:00:03 EST
Regarding the FANTASTIC discussion between Keith Malone in Alaska, and Bob
Harrison in Missouri concerning "SUPER VARROA" vs. feral bee survival.

Why aren't both of you "young men" in Reno, NV at the annual meeting of the
ABF
and vent your feelings there so the bee scientists, bee researchers, queen
breeders,
commercial and hobbyist beekeepers can "digest" your thoughts?

Neither of you have kept bees as long as I have, now beginning my 73rd season,
and ALWAYS successful with my 50-135 colonies for over 50 years.  EVERYONE
is much aware, from my well documented PINK PAGES over the past 20 years,
that I am an ATOMIC BOMB scientist with a beekeeping hobby, have researched
beekeeping management as a scientist, always relied upon the thinking of bee
research scientists resulting in rarely having any varroa kills since varroa's
arrival in 1987, and bees yielding 132 lbs./year average compared to
Maryland's
average yield of only 29 lbs.  SO WHAT?

Can a tiger live in Alaska? Or can a Polar Bear live in Missouri?  I don't
know -
do you?

How do varroa mites survive in Alaska, compared to Missouri, or compared to
Brazil?  Who has researched the vitality of honey bee races along with the
vitality of the varroa mite in these vastly different temperature areas?  NO
ONE, due to lack of research money!  I am wondering if feral bees requeening
themselves in Alaska and surviving Varroa infestation is peculiar to the
colder
weather and shorter seasons, when compared to the same factors in Missouri,
or even Brazil?

Now, Keith or Bob, before you "fly off the handle", why don't you swap homes
for
a year and Keith test Missouri and Bob test Alaska, and I will go back to
Brazil
in my wheelchair and test Brazil against my Maryland bees that are all New
World Carniolans from ARTIFICIALLY INSEMINATED QUEENS by Sue Cobey in Ohio.
OF COURSE, I AM KIDDING, TO MAKE YOU MAD, AND HENCE THINK.

The vast amount of verbiage from both of you (and I admire each of you)
provides
no solution to the varroa problem for the average reader of the Bee-L.  How
much
MONEY have YOU and your followers gifted to honey bee RESEARCH over the past
20 years?

Strange that I ask that?  You have expected scientists to find a cheap,
quick, cure
for varroa infestation.  Won't you concede that it is most difficult to find
any
ingredient, system, or chemical that will destroy the varroa mite, NOT
adulterate
the honey, and NOT harm the bees?  That is the task that our UNDERFUNDED bee
scientists are faced with.  On a personal basis, I was born and live next
door to
THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE (now National Institute of Health) which was
started in 1936 (before either of you were born), and paramount in cancer
research,
but my wife of 59 years died 3 years ago of cancer of the pancreas, because
that
disease was so INSIGNIFICANT (like varroa kill) that there was little research
money.

I end this L-O-N-G diatribe with a hope that all readers will depart from the
so-called "findings" of perhaps highly successful and very fine gentlemen in
the problems of beekeeping (which are MANY), and rely upon scientific endeavor
by bee scientists, IN SPITE OF THEIR UNDERFUNDING.

I go back to a widowed OLD MAN's loneliness of watching TV at night, and
hoping
to watch flying weather for my bees tomorrow.

As in most other things of life's ventures, KNOWLEDGE about a subject that is
gained by scientists usually winds up as the "winner" after many conflicts
along
the way to success.

Unfortunately, there are those who tan and those that sunburn, Democrats and
Republicans, Catholics and Protestants, not to mention the Muslims, Jews, an
Atheists, and the VARROA JACOBSONI mite might outlive all of us; but SMART
men will attempt to HELP US in the meantime.

George Imirie
Certified Master Beekeeper
forget all the other garbage, degrees, writings, awards, accolades, etc.