From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:17:35 -0500
Ted Hancock wrote:

> Many believe the food now on store shelves may be responsible
> for skyrocketing cancer rates.

What skyrocketing cancer rates? This is just an alarmist statement. The
fact that we live longer and have better detection equipment only means
you are more likely to have cancer in your lifetime. The problem with
our current food supply is that it is so varied and safe, so we live
longer because of it, not in spite of it. When I was sailing the seven
seas in the 60's there were still countries we could not buy produce
from because they were still using night soil. (Google it, but not when
you are eating.)

> However I agree with Richard of Danbury as quoted by Dee Lusby
> that these requlations should not apply to someone with twenty hives
> selling honey out their back door. That is exactly what has happened to
> all livestock producers in Canada.

Actually, that is the law right here in Maine for selling honey. If you
sell it you are supposed to be inspected. I have not seen them come in
black helicopters here, but I am sure, based on the post, that it
happens elsewhere.

It actually is not that much of a big deal, and the inspector looks at
sanitation and the process. Personally, I appreciate the fact that honey
that is sold in Maine is produced under sanitary conditions. I would
hope for the same in Canada.

> The other down side to higher standards is that it makes it more expensive
> to get started in commercial beekeeping. This in turn will tend to push
> smaller operations out of business.

So lower standards for honey are acceptable for sale by smaller
operations? That will certainly define the market.

As far as the rest of the post, the sum and substance is found in the
following statement:

> I'm not saying this will happen. I'm just throwing
> it out there for discussion.

I would rather discuss what happened when I was abducted by UFOs.
Unspeakable, what they did with the honey.

Bill Truesdell (Where is my Reynolds Wrap? I see lights.)
Bath, Maine