From:
"Carl H. Powell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 00:02:50 -0500
Hello all,
        I am only now beginning my second year of beekeeping and most of what
I have learned has come from reading and talking to others. The majority of
the talking to others has been here on the internet. The problem that was
recently pointed out in an article in Bee Culture about why many people who
come to assoc. meetings and then are never seen again really is true. I went
to my first meeting, was introduced, and then next month was mostly ignored.
I continued going however and have 'forced' friendships by being annoying to
the point of being noticed and then promptly shutting up and listening. Still
that is only at most three hours a month. I have questions and ideas (many
misconcieved and or just plain wrong) the other 29some days also. I have worn
some people out just about e-mailing them and calling them other times.
        For both the above problem with 'newbies' and people who may just be
new to this list and/or computing I think I have a suggestion. What happened
on another internet newsgroup in the alt.* class was certain of the
'oldtimers' who posted regularly were asked to put together the top 25 most
Frequently Asked Questions for the newsgroup and also a statement as to the
groups purpose. Once compiled one 'regular' was charged with maintaining the
'FAQ & Form' which was posted every 2 weeks to the list for all to read. Also
the 'keeper' would e-mail a brief welcome and a copy to any new poster upon
noting their first post. This might work here also. I haven't been here long
so I will leave the 'acclamation of the new Keeper' to others if this becomes
the consensus.

Carl Powell
[log in to unmask]      Tidewater, Va.

... Mary had a little RAM -- only about a MEG or so.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20