From:
"Paul F. Lehmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1993 11:58:44 -0400
Scilla is the bluebell in England, a member of the lily family.  It is the
flower that forms ravishing carpets of flowers in the woods shortly after
the primroses and oxlips are first out.  It can also be found on cliff tops
by the sea as it is fairly tolerant of salt.  The sort of plant you see in
Public TV shots of England in spring.

The Scots have a different plant they name bluebell (a Campanula species)
that blooms during summer, as was found out when I was a student hearing of
one of our professors who had exclaimed that during the summer's drought in
East Anglia, "the bluebells are growing in straight lines on the breck."

There are other Scilla species including, according to Gray's  Manual of
Botany 1950 editin, Scilla sibirica which was introduced from Eurasia.

Incidently neither Campanula nor Scilla looks like Mertensia virginica
(Virginian cowslip)  which seems to be named bluebells also.

Of couse having a blue flower doesn't mean it has blue pollen.

Paul F. Lehmann