From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:55:49 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<Sometimes [yellowjackets] even hop up on the alighting  board
and take bees right out of the hive entrance.  This is making my  bees
defensive.  Any suggestions?>>

What size entrances are you using? Are they getting  into the hives? I had
this same problem my first year, but since then I've been  using permanently
reduced entrances (about 4 inches wide by 1/4 deep), and mesh  floors, with solid
floors a few inches below them, walls on three sides, and a  false entrance
at the back. The latter is really intended for access for  checking mitefalls.
Many of the wasps try to get in round the back, those few  that find the real
entrance are easily dealt with by the bees, and I don't have  any noticeable
problem with wasp predation.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK