From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:41:03 +0100
From: "Eugene Makovec" " If the goal is to let the bees "evolve" till they
> are mite-resistant, aren't we actually slowing that  process by saving
bees who would otherwise not
> survive? "

The problem is that few (or is none? - we have no experience with Russians
in UK. ) mellifera colonies have as yet evolved a grooming habit strong
enough ever to survive if left completely alone.  So all that happens to
unassisted colonies at present is that they die. Resistance / behavoral
changes are acheived in steps - it needs several successive mutations. So we
need to help the colonies who are on the way but not fully there yet.  So,
beekeepers who have taken the pledge on hard chemicals do still need to
encourage colonies to make maximum use of whatever behavoural change they
have acheived - which I suggested can be by stimulating grooming by dusting.
We can pick out the colonies that get rid of the highest proportion of mites
after dusting if we put mite catching boards under mesh floors.

Dusting with talcum powder or icing sugar is not a crazy new method - it was
one of the first mentioned in UK ministry leaflets in 1996.  It is
insufficient on its own for effective control ( but would get better if bees
develop have a grooming habit and mites are actively helped to lose their
grip) so that is why I suggested a second go with spraying lactic acid or
sucose esters, and even a third go by removing the first sealed brood after
a break in laying. But if dusting is used as the first treatment,  we have a
chance of picking out the colonies on the way to developing natural
resistance, to select for breeding.  While we use hard chemicals,  we learn
nothing.

Dusting has dropped out of sight because strips have been so easy to use - I
am not being holier than thou, I myself have only used  Apistan so far - but
resistance is forcing us to relook at all the experience and I intend to at
least try dusting next season.  Back in 1988, Mobus in The Varroa Handbook
wrote: ",,,, the simplest chemicals ( formic, oxalic, lactic) ... resistance
is least likely to come about. In one respect we can be certain: varooa is
least likely to lose its sticky pads and grow claws with which to cling to
bee's hairs.  When all else fails, we will have dusts and powders ...fine
dusts can probably still help when varooa has become resistant to all other
chemicals in use today."

Now there may be some responses that say we do not need to go thru a dust
testing stage,  they really do already have colonies with fully evolved
grooming habits - however, previously when someone has claimed that on the
list, others have said 'no, the colony died and the nest hole or hive was
re-occupied by a swarm'.   Let's see this time around - maybe the good news
will be that Yoon has a natural survivor.

Robin Dartington